Posted on: Feb 28, 2017
When you keep in mind all the objects flushed down a drain, you can reduce or even eliminate emergency calls. And flushing the drains on a regular basis, especially those in the kitchen, can certainly reduce your plumbing headaches! Listed below are a few tips to follow.
- Use sink strainers. Catching debris from falling into your pipes will reduce headaches and effort. Avoid clogs by adding strainers to every sink throughout the house. A strainer should be in the sink by the washer in the basement, as well. Hair is a common clogging agent pulled from pipes.
- Prevention is the best action. Flush the kitchen drain with warm water before, during and following the use of the garbage disposal. Avoid emergency plumbing services by always scraping dishes into the trash or compost container prior to washing in the sink or dishwasher.
- Though egg shells appear to break up completely, the membrane inside may wrap around your moving parts. Leave egg shells out of the garbage disposal.
- Vegetables can wrap around moving parts as well. Keep celery, lettuce, corn husks and even asparagus from entering the disposal. Anything fibrous or stringy is a clogging agent.
- Starchy foods such as potatoes, rice, or pasta clog pipes over time. Peel the potatoes over the trash or into the compost container. Avoid dropping the skins down the disposal.
- Bones have no business near a disposal, regardless of size.
- Wipe off any grease with a paper towel from dishes and pour any grease from pans into a container or the trash. Grease should be cool but not hardened, as hot grease will melt can liners and potentially burn you.
- As for toilets, only flush what you have eaten, and toilet paper. Sanitary napkins should never be flushed. Other feminine hygiene products should always go into the trash as well. And even products that say they can be flushed, such as flushable wipes really should not be flushed. You will save your sceptic tank, as well.
At Airco Service, we strive to provide you with excellent customer service! We are here to help you with any plumbing service your home requires. Emergencies always happen at the worst time, which is why we are available to you anytime, every day. For more information about prevention maintenance or any plumbing service, give us a call today.